This is a continuation of last week’s article How to Know When You Are Being Scammed – Part One.
This week I want to talk about a few other warning signs that indicate that your potential date may not be genuine. Here are some other red flags you should be aware of:
(1) Resistance to allowing you to call their home or telling you not to call at certain times for what seem like odd reasons. If this becomes a consistent pattern, you must consider the possibility that they may be married and that you’re being considered for a fling on the side.
(2) Resistance to meeting your family once you’ve gone on dates together. Someone open and honest – even if they are extremely shy – will want to meet your family and friends, especially if it’s important to you.
(3) Resistance to telling you about themselves – they only seem to want to know about you. Don’t confuse someone who is a great listener with someone who is being secretive and guarded.
(4) The stories that you’re being told seem ‘larger than life’. Let your ‘common sense radar’ guide you when you are being told about the 100-foot yacht in Monaco, the celebrity parties and the Pied-à-terre in Paris! Sorry for the cliché, but if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
(5) When you are chatting online you don’t feel that you have their undivided attention because there are really long delays waiting for a response. They could legitimately be slow at typing – especially if they are new to using a computer. Or they could be having multiple online conversations at one time. If you have just met them, this may not be much of an issue. But if you have spent weeks getting to know this person online, you may want to delay any physical meetings if you feel they don’t see the same relationship potential in you that you see in them.
(6) Remember that anyone who is genuinely trying to win your affection will understand and respect your caution and your concern for safety, because they are in the exact same boat. If they are in this for the right reasons, they will want to know that you are too.
Online dating can be a wonderful means to finding the partner of your dreams, but as with anything you should exercise caution and maintaining your personal safety is always rule number one. Be safe and have fun!